[VIDEO]: The 4-1-1 on apple cider vinegar
Some people talk to me as if I've always been a health-nut. If you know me well, you know that's the farthest from the truth. In fact, I ended up loving my healthy lifestyle because I was so unhealthy; eating balanced, wholesome foods was the very medicine that saved me from further health decline (more on that here). There were so many countless steps I took to regain my vitality, but there was one pantry staple that I started adding to my daily routine that made the biggest impact on my life -- apple cider vinegar.
I had been given tips to drink a tablespoon first thing every morning, mixed with warm water and lemon juice to help alkelize my body and fight off my candida overgrowth. At first, the taste was so foregin to me I could barely swallow it, and the smell was enough to make my parents question what the heck I was getting myself into every time I visited them. But after as little as two weeks of drinking this tonic, my health literally transformed before my eyes. I began gaining mental clarity (what a concept!). My skin cleared up (finally). My digestive troubles eased (whew). And the biggest kicker, I stopped getting sick (win!). I was sold.
There are so many countless health benefits of apple cider vinegar, if you are even remotely interested in making small healthy lifestyle changes, this would be a great place to start. Try the tonic at home for 2 weeks and let me know how you feel. But just in case you aren't on board with that, I've created an easy homemade Honey Lemon salad dressing you can keep in the fridge for all your salads, grilled veggies, and greens. You skip the icky preservatives from bottled dressings, PLUS get the health boost from the ACV. The perfect way to get ACV into your daily food whether you love it or not. Check out the 4-1-1 in this week's episode of #MichellesMondayMinute, and get the recipe below. You can thank me later.
Honey Lemon Vinaigrette
2/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/3 c. raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. fresh lemon zest
Juice of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove, grated
1 tsp. raw honey
1/2 tsp. dijon mustard
Pinch sea salt/fresh-cracked pepper
- In a jar or small container, combine olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and zest, garlic, honey, mustard, and salt/pepper. Top the container and give it a good ass shake. Will keep in the fridge for 4 days max, just give it a good shake before consuming again.
- Tip: if eye-balling in a container, no need to measure out quantities. Pour your desired olive oil quantity into the container no more than halfway full, and use the leveled top as the "2/3" mark. Then squeeze in lemon juice, and top off with ACV so the acid is around 1/3 of the container. All other ingredients can be lowered or increased to accomodate your salad, whether making a dressing for one individual serving or a huge dinner party!
Other ways to get ACV into your body:
- Swap in place of almost any vinegar when following another vinaigrette recipe
- Sneak in a splash in combination with other vinegars in other vinaigrette recipes (if the recipe calls for 1/3 c. balsamic, I will measure out a splash of ACV, then add the rest in balsamic until the measure reads 1/3 c.)
- Drink first thing in the AM with warm water, juice of half lemon, and 2-4 drops stevia
- Add a light splash throughout cooking in the absense of fresh lemons