Your morning routine, batch-cooked
2017 is here, and so is the constant “New Year, New Body” propaganda. Right on cue. If that works for you, carry on, beautiful lady. But in my experience, anything that implies a diet, detox, or quick-fix is the farthest thing from sustainable, and we’ll be moments away from bingeing on a forbidden treat.
How can we enter the year on more sustainable footing? The recipe is simple. By batch-cooking our morning routine with the most delicious self-care rituals.
How miraculous it is to wake up. We spend hours each night in full rest mode, letting our bodies process a day's food, giving our parasympathetic nervous systems a vacation, and allowing our cells to regenerate. We wake up in the morning, and our day is a blank canvas to create exactly as we choose. Sure, we have commitments (hello, work, errands, and social life). But HOW we show up for those things are entirely up to us. Regardless of what happened the day before, or what will happen tomorrow, today and this moment are entirely up to you. What a miracle!
As you notice all the "New Year, New You" marketing ploys, remember that EVERY DAY is a new you. I have a batch-cook style recipe for starting off each day anew. Just like batch cooking food for the week, spending the first part of your day taking care of yourself -- whether for a few minutes or an entire hour -- will save you time and energy later in the day, and even better, make you feel great. Here's my proven 5-step recipe for the best morning routine ever (and keep reading for a super-delicious, Beautiful Breakfast Plate recipe):
- REHYDRATION: I start with a glass of room temperature solé (pronounced SOUL-ay), followed by a glass of warm water with lemon juice and raw apple cider vinegar. These 2 tonics add fluids to my body, support my immune system, and help with regular elimination (super important to get things moving for the day, both literally and figuratively). You don’t have to be fancy, a tall glass of water first thing is perfect. Add a squeeze of lemon to take it to the next level.
- MEDITATION: I used to be attached to the “right” way of doing this, but I’ve learned that just like eating, meditation is a practice of listening to our bodies and doing what feels right in that moment. Sometimes I listen to music, sometimes I pray, and sometimes I take a long walk. It’s a short time where I can quiet my overactive mind and infuse my day with calm.
- RELEASE: I take pen to paper and word-vomit everything that comes up. Whether I write about an upset, or simply transcribe daily happenings, it’s a chance to release what’s front of mind, make sense of it all, and find spiritual guidance to get me through the day.
- MOVEMENT: This is an essential part of the release, but important enough for its own step. This may look like yoga, a walk, working out, or putting on some Sharon Jones and dancing like a maniac in the living room. Whatever it is, whatever it takes, just move.
- NOURISH: MY FAVORITE PART! After these steps have set my head straight, it’s time to eat the most nourishing meal of the day. Skipping this meal or snacking my way through the morning will pretty much guarantee chaos, anxiety, and snapping at someone. Here’s a go-to easy breakfast recipe that satisfies me every time and sets me up for a great day:
Beautiful Breakfast Plate
These are ingredients I always keep on hand because they make me feel great and offer tons of variety. Translation: you'll never get bored. Switch up the greens and potato variety based on availability. Focus on this formula: protein + dark leafy green + complex carbohydrate + healthy fat. With these 4 components, you’re bound to be satisfied for hours and provide your body with delicious brain-food for an amazing day. Here’s a sampling of how to do it:
2 pastured eggs
½ small sweet potato, chopped into 1” pieces
4-6 large leaves of leafy greens (swiss chard, kale, collards), chopped in strips, or any other dark green veggie
1 tbsp. grass-fed butter of coconut oil
Sprinkle of salt + pepper
Optional garnishes: drizzle of oil (olive, avocado, pumpkin seed), sesame seeds, gimasio, raw fermented veggies
- Fill a medium saucepan with water, and place a steamer inside if you have one. If not, continue without, it will still come out great. Cover and set to medium heat.
- Once water is steaming, add chopped sweet potatoes. While steaming, prepare greens and start scrambling your eggs, if eating scrambled.
- After about 5 minutes, start cooking your eggs. When your eggs go into the pan, add your leafy greens on top of the potatoes and cover pot to continue steaming.
- Once eggs are done cooking, potatoes and greens should be done (use the fork test). Use tongs to fill a bowl with veggies. Top with eggs. Add optional garnishes.
- Take a moment to thank yourself for making this delicious breakfast, then DIG IN!
Note: When I spend an afternoon batch-cooking, I like to cut up all my veggies ahead of time. I’ll chop my sweet potatoes, slice the greens, and keep them in containers in the fridge for up to 7 days. This cuts my breakfast time in HALF, and takes me about 15 minutes to make and eat my breakfast. 15 minutes in the morning to ensure maximum productivity and effectiveness? I’ll take it!
If you’ve done none of these things before, or tried a few times and lost momentum, that’s completely okay. Start small, and keep adding on to your mornings until you start feeling GREAT. Today is a new day. You have an opportunity to invent yourself anew, again and again. Where you are today is a result of who you were, but where you go depends entirely on who you choose to be, starting today.
Now it’s time to hear from YOU! What are your morning routine practices? How has implementing a morning ritual helped you throughout your day to day? Can’t wait to hear from you!
Happy & healthy,
P.S. Still skeptical of this whole morning thing? I highly recommend checking out the inspirational book, The Miracle Morning, by Hal Elrod. Hal has an easy-to-follow formula and tons of supporting scientific data, success stories, and suggestions that will help even the most weary people transform their days, starting with their morning routine. Food coach approved!